Weight Loss Journey Day 21

You didn’t think I’d do it, did you?

I did.

Bought a bikini top on clearance at the Sarasota Wal-mart. I didn’t grow up wearing a bikini so this is not a normal place of comfort for me. I only wore one once, on my honeymoon for my husband. But there is something to this, something I don’t yet understand. Like I mentioned yesterday, I think it has something to do with my need to quit hiding.

bikini

Yes, this is what I bought. NO I will not model it on the Internet!!

Do you think I’ll get burned in those places that have not been exposed? I’m slathering the sunscreen.

And NO, I am NOT wearing the top while we walk the beach, but only when I slip just barely out our sliding glass door, away from most of the people, and let the sun kiss my fat ole tummy.

Heavenly.

We decided to add swimming at the pool to our routine when I returned from drinking in the sun. For the trek I threw a cover-up over the bikini top and skirted swimsuit bottom. Since I hadn’t seen anyone at the pool, I figured it didn’t matter what I wore. Of course now a family, which included a teenage boy, splashed in the water.

I went back to the condo and put on the top goes with my mature-woman-cover-up-stuff-skirted-swimsuit

With all that extra exercise I was under calorie count today, I but didn’t feel hungry. And with all the healthy choices we’re making, I feel fantastic.

I’m surprised I still have no energy for any of the stuff I expected to do, like write in my journal or read. That’s where I usually turn when I need to work things through, like what’s up with this hiding thing, how do I think about all the trials of 2012 (and before), and my obsession with not hiding.

Maybe I don’t want to put the energy into journaling because of the icky feeling in my head that has haunted me since that last car accident. (It bothers me to do computer work and even fatigues me to write in my journal.)

But this resistance feels like something else.

When I lie in the sun I talk to God, but it seems disjointed and jumbled and rambly. I miss the deeper conversations I had with Him with pen in hand, helping me focus.

Still, I’ve no desire to pick up a pen.

Maybe I am still in rest and unwind mode.

Real Time Update:

I did eventually process some of the stuff buried inside. If I’m brave enough I’ll post parts of it in a couple of days.

As to what is happening now, about two months after the above experience, I’m in another plateau. The first time I plateaued I kept doing what I was doing for a couple of weeks, and all of the sudden I dropped  7 pounds. This plateau is starting to concern me as it is lasting longer. I did some research this morning, and I have a few ideas–like being more careful about water intake, which I’ve become slack about. Also, I may need to watch types of foods more carefully, not just amounts. And it may help to push myself a little with the exercise. I am stronger now. I walk farther and without getting as winded, so it’s become pretty easy. If I was wanting to maintain this would be fine, but I’d like to drop another 25 or so.

I sound pretty cavalier about the plateau, but it’s starting to bug me.

What About You?

Any ideas about how to handle plateaus? What do you do when you’re frustrated with the weight loss journey? Have you ever felt tired of hiding–physically, mentally, spiritually, or emotionally?

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

11 thoughts on “Weight Loss Journey Day 21

1. Caryl Kirtley January 21, 2013 at 7:55 pm Reply

Just my two cents…your body becomes used to doing the same exercise day in and day out and you don’t get the same calorie burn you once did. You have to change it up, so you start burning as many calories…or more! Think of it as shocking your system. Maybe work on rotating 3 different types of exercise throughout the week…swim, walk, and dance (or whatever sounds fun to you)…also, strength training definitely helps in the long run. Building muscle increases your metabolism…even (especially) at our age 🙂

• Paula Moldenhauer January 21, 2013 at 8:34 pm Reply

Thank you, Caryl. I love, love, love my long walks, but have been thinking something along these lines. I really appreciate your taking the time to give me such good advice.

2. mariekeates January 21, 2013 at 9:56 pm Reply

I agree on the mixing it up thing. I’ve had quite a few plateaus along the way and they can be very discouraging. They do eventually come to an end though. One thing that can help is actually upping what you eat for a week and then going back to a lower calories level, it shocks the body into submission. Also making sure you eat at least half your exercise calories. I posted about this a while ago because when I first heard it I thought it sounded nuts but it worked. If you want to see the post this is the link http://www.fatgirlslimblog.co.uk/?p=3590. Above all, don’t give up!

• Paula Moldenhauer January 21, 2013 at 10:54 pm Reply

Thank you, Marie. I love your blog. I’ll check that out!

• mariekeates January 21, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Hope it helps 🙂 glad you like the blog too. At the very least it should show you it can be done, albeit very slowly and with quite a bit if backsliding and chocolate binges!

3. Anne January 22, 2013 at 3:33 am Reply

Cute top! Love the polka dots and, as we’ve already seen… that color of blue looks really good on you! What do the BeNew people say about eating your carbs/fruit sugars only in the morning early afternoon? That might break the plateau…

• Paula Moldenhauer January 22, 2013 at 3:38 am Reply

Thank, Annie! Your support on this journey has been fabulous. That is one of the things I’m considering. Just had to take a step back today from all the advice to process . …

4. Paula Moldenhauer January 22, 2013 at 3:39 am Reply

Love your attitude, Marie! You make me smile.

5. Rosemary Donahoo January 22, 2013 at 5:07 am Reply

Another good one Paula. Bless your little ole’ pea pickin heart!!

• Paula Moldenhauer January 22, 2013 at 5:54 am Reply

I laughed out loud! Haven’t heard that phrase in so long. Makes me miss the foothills of the Ozarks where I grew up!

6. […] didn’t have a decent swimsuit that fit since the weight loss. (Okay, I could have worn the famous bikini top, but it just wasn’t the venue for it.) Right before I left for the conference I happened to […]